Congratulations to Turner Sports for contributing and transporting their entire Ryder Cup program over the Public Internet using AVIWEST SafeStreams technology.
Turner Sports was seeking a means to transport 16 contribution feeds from Paris to Atlanta and 4 return program feeds from Atlanta to Paris via the public Internet. Vidovation provided an AVIWEST solution based on SafeStreams technology.
The system included a total of five HE4000 4 channel HD or single channel UHD HEVC encoders with supporting StreamHub receiver, decoders, and transcoders. To save costs, Turner Sports utilized a 1 Gb per second unmanaged public Internet connection.
The AVIWEST SafeStreams technology provided Turner Sports with a robust and reliable transport via the unpredictable public Internet. SafeStreams utilizes highly adaptive forward error correction FEC, automatic re-requests ARQ, and IP bonding.
Turner Sports used AVIWEST SafeStreams via the Internet as Only Feed for Coverage
The Main Challenge of the Project Was to Provide reliable IP transport via an unmanaged network such as the public Internet. The system configuration included the following components.
- 16 Contribution feeds from Paris to Atlanta
- 4 Return Program feeds from Atlanta to Paris
- IP Transport over The Public Internet
- HE4000 4 Channel HD or 1 UHD Encoder
- StreamHub 4 Ch HD or 1 Ch UHD Decoder
- Encoders & 1 StreamHub in Paris
- 1 Encoder & 4 StreamHub’s in Atlanta
- SafeStreams – FEC – ARQ – IP Bonding
- Variable Bitrate VBR and Constant Bitrate CBR support
AVIWEST’s HE4000 4K & HD Encoder and PRO Series Provide Robust Transmission Over Cellular and Public Internet
Broadcast engineers and operators are always looking for better, more efficient ways to contribute and distribute video. It’s especially true for sports broadcasters and live-TV producers, who regularly deal with
backhauling live, high-action, multicamera, multisource video and audio. The challenge is maintaining perfect video genlock and lip sync across multiple cameras. AVIWEST’s HE4000 4K UHD & HD HEVC live encoder and PRO Series bonded cellular transmitter with SafeStreams® technology do just that. A far less costly alternative to traditional telecom or satellite connections, the HE4000 sends video through the public internet or unmanaged networks, which are practically free. Bonded cellular capability can be added to the HE4000 using the optional QUAD CellLink active antenna. For greater mobility, the PRO Series of bonded cellular transmitters provides a camera-mount or backpack alternative to a satellite that is ideal for multicamera, remote integration (REMI), and at-home productions.
What Is the HE4000?
AVIWEST’s HE4000 encoder relies on the public internet to contribute and distribute video, thereby helping to eliminate high satellite costs. It is ideal for real-time delivery of live 4K UHD or HD content over unmanaged IP networks. The compact, half-RU encoder combines 10-bit and 4:2:2 HEVC encoding with the latest generation of SafeStreams technology to deliver live video over IP at low latencies and bit rates. AVIWEST’s enhanced HEVC can save customers more than 65% on their data costs when used over bonded cellular compared to typical H.264.
AVIWEST HE4000 HEVC Encoder
- Enhanced HEVC encoding – (1) 4K UHD or (4) HD
- Patented SafeStreams® transport protocol
- Robust transport with multilayer redundancy
- Uses the public internet for contribution & distribution
- Optional bonded cellular connectivity with QUAD CellLink
- Eliminate satellite, fiber, and telecom costs
- Synchronous backhaul of multiple live feeds with
perfect genlock and lip sync
- No dropped packets
- Greater speed and agility
- Low latency